I always get my knickers into a twist round the middle of November, because Ruby’s birthday comes up and I do like to mark this special day with a little get together. There of course has to be food and a little buffet is the best thing for a bunch of adults and tods. It just has to be versatile because you wanna keep everyone happy. So, the few weeks beforehand I tend to experiment with finger-food type of dishes. As one of my friends is a vegetarian there has to be at least one plate without meat. That was as I came across these Veggie burgers and the whole household fell in love with them, which is funny because none of us would be huge fans of sun-dried tomatoes or mozzarella!
They were a roaring success at the party, so let’s get to it!
What you’ll need:
- 185 g of Quinoa
- 470 ml Vegetable broth
- 100 g Mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion
- 3 tbsp of flour (I use spelt flour, but regular or coconut flour will work too)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 2 gloves of crushed garlic
- Oil for frying the burgers
How to assemble them:
First the Quinoa:
- Wash the quinoa well in a mesh strainer.
- Put a pan with a bit of oil on medium heat and add the quinoa to dry it off a bit. It takes about 2 minutes.
- Simultaneously bring the broth to a boil in a pot and add the quinoa.
- Lower to medium heat, cover the pot and let it bubble away for about 15 minutes. Stir it occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- It is ready when all the water is gone and you can fluff it up a bit with a fork.
As for the Burgers:
- While the quinoa is bubbling you can chop up, measure and mix up all the other ingredients.
- Add the quinoa when ready.
- Mix it all up well. Be warned, the result is not exactly pretty!
- Heat up some oil in a large pan and drop a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into the hot oil. It should sizzle when the mix hits the oil, only then the pan is hot enough.
- Let them cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and then flip.
- Place on a kitchen towel when finished to cool and remove excess oil.
And the final step: Enjoy!!!